If you find it hard to stick to healthy food all the time (I bloody do!) then get these fritters in your face! So easy, tastes like a zillion calories without it being a zillion calories. I’m a major savoury snacker, I’d swap a doughnut for a packet of crisps any day. These fritters are packed with tasty goodness and baked rather than fried, to help you avoid clogging those ever so important arteries any more than they already are!
- Large cauliflower, cut into florets and discard the stem
- 1 small egg white
- 1 egg yolk
- Splash of milk
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 100g buckwheat flour (or substitute with plain flour)
- 50g parmesan, grated
- 50g Gruyère grated
- Salt & pepper
- Breadcrumbs (white, brown or panko)
- Start by steaming your cauliflower florets for a few minutes until tender. To avoid the fritter mix being to watery try and squeeze any excess liquid out of the cauliflower by wringing it out in a clean tea towel.
- Then throw all the ingredients, apart from the breadcrumbs & egg yolk, into a food processor and blitz until all combined. Don’t over blend or you’ll be left with a soggy mess. No one likes a soggy mess.
- The mix should be firm enough to make balls out of, if that’s not the case then you’ve fucked up. Or I have, so add a little more flour.
- Make the fritter shapes, as big or small as you want. Stir the egg yolk and a small splash of milk together, dip the fritters in and then roll them in the breadcrumbs.
- Pop your fritters onto a tray and bake those bad boys for about 20 minutes, turning half way.
- I have mine with a bit of low-fat yogurt mixed with some chilli powder, which works well and is practically like eating air. Protein filled air.