Recently I heard that you should eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince and dinner like a pauper. I realised that’s actually how I live my weekdays anyway… I always start with something filling and nutritious, a measly little Weetabix will never do. I follow this up with a large noodle based lunch (which is always a mid afternoon affair). By the time it comes to dinner I run out of steam, I give less of a shit about what I eat and more of a shit about how long it takes to cook. Soups & stir-fries seem to feature a lot. So give that *method a try, they do say breakfast is the most important meal of the day after all!
I try not to eat much meat in the week (for ethical reasons as well as the health benefits) but when it comes to breakfast I really struggle not to have bacon or sausages on the side. So as a feeble attempt to be pork-free I’ve substituted for turkey bacon. Let’s be real… it’s not bacon, it will never be bacon, bacon is in a league of its own, bacon is the God of meat (I could go on). But turkey bacon is tasty in its own right, it may lack in the crispy fat area but I guess that’s the point. So if you’re trying to reduce your fat intake then it’s good one to go for.
My favourite part of this dish is the chimichurri – kiwi being the main ingredient in my version. It gives a light and delicate sweetness in contrast to the other full on flavours, but it also packs a punch at the same time. It goes really well with all meat and fish so if you’re not on the turkey hype then it changes nothing!
So go forth and get your taco on.. a little bit of spice in the morning is what everyone needs.
*Method just for the weekdays – EAT LIKE A KING ALL WEEKEND!
- Corn tortillas (1 – 2 per person)
- Avocado, diced
- 200g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 400g tin of mixed beans (in spicy tomato sauce, or add some passata and chilli powder)
- 1tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp smoke paprika
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- ½ lime
- 4 rashers of bacon, turkey or pork
- 2 large free-range eggs
- Salt & pepper
- 3 kiwis, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot, or small sweet onion
- Handful of coriander
- Handful of parsley
- 1 green chilli
- 2tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Start by heating your oven to 180°c.
- Throw all of the chimichurri ingredients into a food processor and blitz to a sauce. Set aside for later.
- Heat small sauce pan and add cumin, paprika and garlic powder. Dry fry for a minute or so to release flavours and add mixed beans (if they come without a sauce then add a small amount of passata and chilli). Bring to the boil, stir and turn heat down to a simmer.
- Put the chopped avocado, tomato and spring onions in a bowl and mix with a good squeeze of lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Heat a tiny amount of oil in a frying pan, add the bacon and crisp up. When bacon is almost crisp add the eggs and fry for a few minutes until cooked.
- If you want to make your tortillas into the taco shapes then simply hang a tortilla over a rung of your oven rack and let them fall in a half-moon position for a couple of minutes.
- Everything should be ready for you to start assembling your tasty taco breakfast, if you’re a spice freak like me then be sure to add more heat with some pickled green chillies or hot sauce.