If I had to eat just one meal for the rest of my life it would undoubtedly be ramen. A rich broth, spicy seasoning, silky noodles topped with plenty of beautiful treats. This is a very simple version – my weekday lunch. I’m still going strong with my meat-free weekday meals and I’m enjoying the challenge of cooking without an animal being the main feature. I think it’s easy to hide behind a good slab of meat, it can be the centre piece of the entire meal and it’s hard to make it taste bad. So taking that away only encourages me to be more inventive with what I have left. This lunch time I rooted through the fridge and found lots of vegetables to use up, you can fill your noodle soup with whatever vegetables you like too. It’s a brilliant kitchen clearer. So if you don’t have the same ingredients that are on the list, it doesn’t matter.. throw in anything!
I’ve used chicken stock in mine but obviously go for vegetable if you don’t eat animal products. This dish literally takes minutes to make which is perfect for those busy working days. Sometimes it can be difficult looking after yourself Monday to Friday – many people opt for the supermarket sandwich, a microwave ready meal or skip lunch all together. Why do that when you can make something amazingly tasty and healthy in a matter of a few minutes? Remember, you are important. Treat your body well, fill it with love, look after yourself and you will reap the rewards.
- 120g whole wheat noodles
- 600ml stock
- 1tsp chilli oil
- 2tsp shrimp paste
- 2tsp hot chilli powder
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 1 star anise
- 2tsp light soy sauce
- 1tsp fish sauce
- 2tsp shoaxing rice wine (or cider vinegar)
- 1 onion, chopped
- Thumb size piece of ginger, grated
- Stick of celery, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 300g mushrooms, chopped
- 150g beansprouts
- 1 carrot, chopped
- A few florets of broccoli
- A big handful of coriander leaves
- 2 limes
- Start by heating a large saucepan on medium and adding the chilli oil, shrimp paste, chilli powder, flakes, star anise and ginger. Cook for a couple of minutes while stirring.
- Add the onion and let soften before adding the soy sauce, fish sauce, shoaxing wine and finally the stock.
- Throw in the noodles, turn up the heat and then add all of the vegetables. Cook for 4 minutes and add the juice of one lime and half of the coriander. Turn down heat to a simmer and cook for a further minute or two.
- Serve into large bowls, top with remaining coriander and lime. Voila.